Pantene Pro-V

Pantene Pro-V

Your Pantene Pro-V questions answered.

pack-shot-1-png

Over the past eight weeks on our Pantene Pro-V project we've been receiving a lot of questions about the new hair care range from Pantene.

So, instead of keeping the answers secret and simply answering them via email, what better than to publish two of the most common questions and answer them on our blog?

"I have been advised to avoid using Pantene with coloured hair as it strips the colour and in fact absorbs the hair dye so when coming to wash the hair, the dye is removed leaving your hair with less defined colour. Is this true?"

The specific Pantene Colour Range is designed to help keep the colour in the hair. When using these products including the weekly Colour Seal Concentrate the colour fading is protected and the hair left shiny and healthy looking. No Product in the Pantene Pro-V collection will strip or remove the colour of your hair and are safe for colour-treated, permed hair.

If the colour of your hair looks dull and unhealthy it could be as a result of other factors such as:

• Infrequent Conditioning
  • Sun exposure
  • Chemically treated water in swimming pools
  • Overuse of styling products

"My hairdresser/friend told me never to use Pantene as it makes your hair more susceptible to breakages and causes build up overtime. Is this true?"

Pantene is designed to be used regularly. Like other conditioning products it provides protection to the hair which helps to prevent damage and breakage and leaves the hair healthy looking and shiny. Our silicones found in the Pantene Pro-V range are lightweight and do not cause build up over time. As with all cosmetic ingredients they are safe and non-toxic and wash off easily at the next shampoo. You can use as often as desired.

@all: Feel free to continue sending your questions in! What do you think of the two here?

glgstevenp • 16/01/2012 - 15:45

I am finding that my hair is a lot more greasy than normal, I have stopped using for now and will confirm this in the next couple of days, I am using the products for coloured hair, but thinking that the product for fine hair maybe better for me.

MysteryShopper0007 • 16/01/2012 - 17:08

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH THE NEW PROJECT TOMORROW CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rose1001 • 16/01/2012 - 17:21

Thanks for the heads up on that MysteryShopper0007 :-) I hope I get picked as I've really enjoyed this one. Hope to see you on the blog there!

MysteryShopper0007 • 16/01/2012 - 17:27

totally cant wait!!!

karenb33 • 16/01/2012 - 18:02

It is heartening to see a less than 100% positive comment on the blog - and what I mean is that Pantene are acknowledging that people have questions about the product and are willing to answer them honestly.

sammiewoo • 16/01/2012 - 18:47

I too have found that my hair is a lot more greasy and lank than normal. As soon as I changed to another shampoo the appearance improved. My hairdresser advised me to stop using it as I was getting terrible static build up in my hair too.

curious-me • 16/01/2012 - 20:14

I have recently completed a three year hairdressing course at college and never once were we ever told or warned of Pantene products. We were told of a few that were 'not compatible' with certain hair types (i.e coloured, permed, processed hair) but never Pantene. Wanted to share this with you since reading a few posts. Hope this is of help. :) Also if your hair is feeling/looking greasy it is not always due to the brand of product you are using, but the type. If you feel your hair is greasy it might be worth just switching to a different type of shampoo/conditioner within the same range.

Jillyb • 16/01/2012 - 20:44

I bet that the person telling you not to use Pantene worked in a Salon that was trying to sell another product for more than twice the price for half the volume......call me cynical but the results I have seen with Pantene are great and at a fair price!!!

Tip-toes • 16/01/2012 - 22:06

Since using this shampoo I have seen a big difference in my fine hair, it now looks thicker and shiner, I am definitely really pleased with this product and how it makes my hair look.

rose1001 • 17/01/2012 - 06:48

I thought exactly the same as Jillyb so you're not the only cynic Jilly :-)

I've found tat my hair can now go another day between washes, I used to wash it every other day but now I can leave it for an extra day. My only concern is how slippery the extra treatment makes the shower and I hope Pantene will look into this, I know my comments have been passed on (thank you rosewalker for letting me know that)

donna1501 • 17/01/2012 - 07:04

I used to use Pantene years ago, and stopped as i felt my hair always looked and felt clogged. Having used it again (protect and repair) for this project I am not sure I will continue post project for the same reasons. When washing my hair it feels very "full" with shampoo and i cant seem to get what i call that "squeaky clean" feeling, and I find that where as i used to be ablet o condition every 2-3 washes i now have to condition every wash for my hair to feel nice. Also I have found i have to wash my hair everyday otherwise its lank greasy on day two. As its winter I am using the hairdryer everyday, which i dont do spring-autumn so this may have an impact, but i am not convinced. However my hair does feel smooth and soft when washed everyday, I havent noticed any split ends appearing. I am due for a haircut in a couple of weeks so I am intrigued as to whether my hairdresser notices any difference.

Personally I think the protect & repair was the incorrect product for my hair so this could well be a reason for my comments above as perhaps its just too much for my hair to cope with as I am always praised by my hairdresser for the quality of my hair.

Rose1001 thank you for reminding me reference the shower base post washing - i have really noticed this and my husband has often complained about this if i dont clean the shower after use - it is a danger!

nicw • 17/01/2012 - 07:22

I'm finding that the shampoo just doesn't lather up enough .... maybe it's because I live in London and it's something to do with the 'hard' water??!!

jubie13 • 17/01/2012 - 09:42

I've found that as well as having smoother hair that shines more, it is lasting longer - able to wear it down for a second day and can go a third with it up without feeling like my hair is a greasy disgrace! I've never had as much attention for my hair as I have had throughout this project so thanks Pantene for making me feel better as well as being able to try something new and share it with others.

jazzycat • 17/01/2012 - 09:44

i have coloured hair and found pantene left my hair shiny and soft the colour looks just as good i would use again and tell others to use it

pinkfee • 17/01/2012 - 10:05

Totally converted to pantene for coloured hair. The worst thing about it is I can't keep my daughters hands off of it!!!! I got in the shower the other day to find 2 empty bottles. I had already stocked up unbeknown to my daughter, so I had to jump out the shower to recover a bottle of both shampoo and conditioner from the cupboard. She has been using tresseme body 24 up until now and now she is using the same as me. That can tell you only one thing - it's damn good stuff!!!!!

spongebob1 • 17/01/2012 - 10:20

I have found pantene has been good on my hair, although I have to admit that its not been the best shamppo / conditoner I have used. However when my daughter used it it made her hair lank and greasy within about 12 hours.

Cheekysmart • 17/01/2012 - 10:40

I have finally noticed a difference to my hair - it feels a little thicker and better conditioned, but I'm not too keen on the smell!

Madamtutat • 17/01/2012 - 10:49

I am using Pantene for coloured hair and i found it suits my hair. Thanks

WelshKel1706 • 17/01/2012 - 11:31

I started using the new Pantene for coloured hair as soon as I got it and I loved the smell and the condition of it. I had trouble with my hair being greasy before and this stopped for a while but now I've been using the Pantene for a few weeks, it's started again. I've started alternating the types of shampoo I use so I now only wash my hair with Pantene every other wash and I still use the intensive conditioner once a week. My hair is dyed a dark red and I have NEVER seen any of the dye come out while I have been using the Pantene! :-)

dustmotes • 17/01/2012 - 12:36

I've used Pantene quite regularly in the past years, almost always never bothering to use the conditioner as it was too much hassle to try washing out entirely, which would make my hair a little more heavier and greasier. Also the conditioner left a slippery residue in the shower that would not be washed away with ease. Just using the shampoo on it's own at the time was fine as it moisturied enough so that my hair did not tangle easily.

With this new range (Repair & Protect), I noticed immediately that it lathers so much easier and that I didn't need to use as much as I'd done previously, even when my hair was extra dirty/greasy which would normally require 2 washings. The shampoo leaves my hair and scalp feeling really clean. However, I've also found that it is no longer enough just to wash with the shampoo on it's own as it leaves my hair drier than it used to, and therefore I have no choice but to use the conditioner as well.

To my surprise, the conditioner is so much better to work with now. It spreads easier through my hair and leaves it soft and shiny, and most importantly without the heaviness that used to leave my hair (and shower) greasy! My hair is more manageable and I can go two, sometimes three days between washings.

I do have to add that I always use a hairdryer to dry my hair, which I hadn't thought would make a difference until I'd recently stayed over at a friend's house without access to one. I'd used a different shampoo and conditioner that day and had to leave my hair to air dry. My hair was frizzy and felt much rougher, which I think had to do with all the factors that I'd used different products and no hairdryer to help with the smoothness. I haven't yet tried using Pantene without my hairdryer, as I can't bear with cold and wet hair any longer than I have to in the winter!

The old Pantene had a nice scent that was quite distinct and lasted probably a good day after washing. My friends and family often commented that they'd know exactly when I'd just washed my hair with it because of the pleasant scents wafting from my hair :) The new range no longer has this effect I'm afraid, but I still am really pleased about the overall performance, especially the much improved conditioner!

I can't tell if using Pantene helps with dandruff, so I alternate with a dandruff controlling shampoo to keep it at bay. I feel this has an added bonus of discouraging a build up of the same product on my hair as well. I don't really believe that anything but a haircut can cure existing split ends, but as long as this keeps my hair manageable until my next hairdresser's visit I'm happy to keep using it!

-sandy- • 17/01/2012 - 13:05

I've never had a problem with breakages or build-up with Pantene and have not found that it strips my colour in anyway. I coloured my hair a week before Christmas have been washing it and conditioning it with Pantene's colour shampoo and conditioner approximately 4 times a week and would say my colour is as good as it was Chrismas Day. I do loose a bit of colour in the first couple of washes but I find this happens anyway when I colour my hair at home. I have however been told that I shouldn't colour my hair at home because home hair dyes are not as good as salon ones but the cost of one colour at the hairdressers (which lasts no more than 8 weeks because of grey roots) equals a years home hair colour for me.

CJ65 • 17/01/2012 - 13:12

I've enjoyed reading through the comments other have posted and picked up a few tips. I also noticed that a few people have been mentioning a Pantene serum to finish styling so my quest is now to find this next time I'm shopping, to see if it will banish the frizzies completely. The shampoo & conditioner work well to tame the fluff but it's still not quite there yet so I'm hoping the serum will do the trick.
I have also noticed that if I'm out when the weather is damp and drizzly my hair doesn't fluff up as much as it used to - thats a massive plus for me!

alana25 • 17/01/2012 - 13:35

Ive not had any problem with the shampoo lathering up as nicw mentioned so maybe its a water thing, i live in Glasgow.

I like the shampoo and conditioner and serum but i dont use them every day as my hair is combination oily/frizzy so i tend to use different products according to how my hair is that day.

The serum is nice to use but unfortunately did not completely calm my frizz.

In the past i have heard a lot of negatives about the use of Pantene and the build up of the silicone used but ive not found it to be a problem.

My mum really likes the new Pantene range and has decided to switch from her current shampoo and conditioner.

gillybabe • 17/01/2012 - 14:10

I've seen a real difference in the condition of my hair using shampoo and conditioner. The intense treatment is great it all smells lovely. my daughter is really impressed too and is now a total convert.

Carlo13 • 17/01/2012 - 15:37

I am still using Pantene and have done for years. This new range is so much superior to the old range. I have had several comments on how nice my hair looks, and my daughter-in-law is a real convert, she absolutely loves the shampoo and conditioner. She had never tried it until I gave her some samples for her and her family. I cannot fault Pantene at all.

judyjetson • 17/01/2012 - 16:15

I was using the one for fine hair, but had to stop using it as it made my head and behind my ears really itchy, despite rinsing and rinsing. Used the shampoo and conditioner separately and to see if was one or other, but both seem to cause a problem. Funnily enough, I've continued using the conditioning treatment and had no problem with that.

peewee123 • 17/01/2012 - 18:34

I normally use Pantene for normal to thick hair, but yesterday had my hair dyed. I've kept back a sample of the coloured hair one, and want to see if this makes a difference.

charlhrdy • 17/01/2012 - 19:24

I haven't liked pantene in the past, however, this one works wonders. My hair feels more luxurious than ever. The only issue I would have is I used the conditioner very quickly.

rachy • 17/01/2012 - 19:36

My friends that have used the range for coloured hair have got on great with it and have really liked the results of it.

Milo_A • 17/01/2012 - 19:58

Nicw: I use the Repair & Protect & finds that it lathers a lot (too much sometimes:)), I live in Leeds - so may be it's because u're in London.

Judyjetson: My husband also got an itchy scalp from the shampoo & conditioner, he's tried using it twice with same results.

I find my hair much smoother and 'silkier', and it smells wondeful. The only thing is that my hair feels a bit dry (but that may be because am washing it & blow drying more often than usual).

During my conversations about the project, some friends told me that Pantene tends to make their hair fall out, have any of you heard similar stories?

spicemill • 17/01/2012 - 20:21

I've been ask about Pantene's green credentials and whether the products / ingredients are tested on animals. Any info on the matter?

jules00745 • 17/01/2012 - 21:05

I am still enjoying the Pantene products and I have coloured hair. My hair feels soft and when I blow dry my hair it looks smooth and shiny.

I have had different comments about the product samples I gave out, but mainly the ladies I work with really like Pantene. Only one person, whos daughter is a hairdresser, didn't want to use Pantene because she said that it strips your hair of its natural oils. How do hairdressers know this?

I look forward to the next project, I hope I get chosen . I have really enjoyed this.
Thanks again. :)

sweep1973 • 18/01/2012 - 06:35

Finally got my kit this week and first couple of washes have been great so far. Hair has been a bit dry from air conditioned office environments but looks nice and shiny. I wash my hair most days so will see how it does with frizz and blow drying

chucklechops • 18/01/2012 - 07:04

on the whole the majority of friends etc that I have passed the samples on to really like the way there hair has been comments like the above I have heard lot's ie can go another day without washing hair feels thicker and silkier also a lot easier to control when putting up. But my mum found that her scalp got really itchy and had to stop using it. Saying that my mum has very fine hair that is coloured but she has to use ammonia free she loved the smell but just did nothing for her unffortunately. My teenage girls love the products both have long hair and take a life time to wash conditioner then dry my poor husband can not understand how long they take getting ready It's a girl thing !!

verity68 • 18/01/2012 - 08:13

I love the shampoo and conditioner, but find I only need to use the repair and protect on the length of my hair as the roots get greasy with it.

swallowsoast • 18/01/2012 - 09:48

I was told by a hairdresser that that pantene seals the hair which is why its not good to use before dying it as dye doesnt take as well, is this true??

hazey3 • 18/01/2012 - 11:09

I have noticed a great improvement to my hair. It used to get greasy very quickly but it is now soft and silky and I can leave it a few days before washing again. I really like the conditioning treatment and it is so true, when you wash it off it doesn't get clogged in your hair, your hair feels lightweight and fresh.
I've been to a fair few hairdressers and none of them have mentioned anything bad about pantene.

Kazanne • 18/01/2012 - 12:29

I've really enjoyed being part of this project, reading everyone's experiences has been entertaining. I can say that I used the products for fine hair and the only thing I could say which is negative is that the shampoo didn't lather up much and left my hair very knotted. However after using the conditioner my hair felt much better. I like the results when my hair has been dried, always using a hairdryer, and my style lasts well. I also have noticed that I don't seem to need to wash my hair every day like I used to, I now wash it every other day, and in fact there's been a couple of occasions when I've gone into a third day without washing, which is unheard of for me!! All in all, I'd say these new products are much improved :)

Hanna • 18/01/2012 - 12:54

I have got a question which hasn't been answered yet.

Can I use serum on my hair before I straighten it because some people say you can and others say it will fry your hair???

mcgowank • 18/01/2012 - 13:31

I agree with Donna151; my hair does not get that sqeeky clean feel after washing; I have seen a big difference from using my usual (salon quality) shampoo; In future I would maybe use Pantene as an inbetween shampoo but definately not every wash as my hair is just not as smooth.

Joni • 18/01/2012 - 15:58

@Hanna: You should be able to straighten your hair after use of any of the products in the Pantene Pro-V range.

@all: Friday will see our last blog post so keep an eye out!

imelda58 • 18/01/2012 - 17:11

I did not take part in this trial but in the past I have been warned off the product in the past by hairdressers. I normally use the salon shampoo & conditioner that my friend who is a hairdresser gets me, having said that Pantene is my go-to shampoo when I am waiting for a new batch to arrive.
It always produces great results and having used both salon colour shampoo and Pantene I can honestly say I my colour lasts the same with both.
Don't listen to your hairdreser, buy it!

c00ps • 18/01/2012 - 17:51

I've used Pantene for years and love it. I too have been advised by a hairdresser not to use Pantene on my coloured hair as it would build up and eventually the colour wouldn't take. I have been colouring my hair for around 15 years and funnily enough it still works. I ignored her advice and changed my hairdresser.

l3clo • 18/01/2012 - 18:06

Although I received Repair and Protect for my hairs needs... I found that Protect and Smooth worked much better. I saved a sample from my pack to try and I found the one I really needed, so all good!!

paupau • 18/01/2012 - 18:39

Am really pleased with the results to my hair, since I started using the Pantene for fine hair, it looks so much thicker,fuller. I would recommend it to anyone,who feels like I did.

paupau • 18/01/2012 - 18:41

about their hair, the apperance, lack of volume,shine lusture. It really worked wonders for my hair.

marskie • 18/01/2012 - 21:01

Been using pantene smooth and sleek range for years and now tried the aqualight for fine hair and i have got to say that the improvement is immense. Softer, shinier and very conditioned. I would not say that my hair is any thicker using the products however it looks as if i have a thicker head of hair and i think that is all down to the way my hair sits on my head as it is so conditioned now and the light bounces of the shine giving me different tones to my hair colour. Great products.

Manj • 18/01/2012 - 21:27

My hairdresser also mentioned silicone build up. She even said herself how good my hair looks recently! I have had a few comments that my hair looks healthy and a little fuller/thicker than beore. It may also be that not as much is actually falling out each time I use, which is always a good thing!

uniman1 • 19/01/2012 - 09:11

Been tried the aqualight for fine hair and i have got to say that the improvement is immense. Softer, shinier and very conditioned and also I tried the pantene colour range that also work fantastic on my coloured hair .

Laura C. • 19/01/2012 - 19:17

My hairdresser used to say things like this when I she was salon based - but not now she works for herself! She said working in a salon they are under quite a bit of pressure to sell you salon products and tended to discourage clients from using non-salon type readily available via supermarkets brands

Little_Ladybirds • 19/01/2012 - 20:19

It's funny that you have a question/comment about the colour fading or being stripped from coloured hair, as this is exactly what my mum reported after using her coloured hair sample. She isn't going to be getting any of the Pantene range.

But I have found that the aqualight range has made a big difference to my hair. I used to find that my hair went greasy again quickly (sometimes with 30 mins of washing it!!!!), but now it stays shinier and glossy for longer, without looking like a greasebucket. I have already stocked up on quite a few bottles, as have found it much better than quite a lot of shampoo/conditioners that I have used.

Laura C. • 20/01/2012 - 10:03

[...] Received… expert answers to our questions. Our contact at Pantene, Jo, was more than happy to answer any of our product-related or hair-care questions. [...]

bluesmum • 20/01/2012 - 11:26

I wonder sometimes if hairdressers just want you to buy their expensive salon brands and give us biased advice. The Pantene collection has been great and all my friends have been really pleased with the results

lauradee • 20/01/2012 - 12:30

I will be honest and say that I have not had any bad feedback with the Pantene range.
I used the Aqualight Shampoo and conditioner and this is the first time a product has actually done what it says on the bottle. Other products have always left my hair feeling like it still needs a good wash. The price is good too and is also on offer at Asda at the moment so I have stocked up!
The only real negative I can say is that the lid is annoying, I keep wanting to press it down!
I thoroughly enjoy taking part in these projects, keep them coming!

Gundie • 20/01/2012 - 18:34

I have had great time on this project :) my hair has absolutely enjoyed it, so had my family who got their samples in the xmas crackers :)
my uni girls
everyone was really happy to try it out and came back happy :)

tianne • 21/01/2012 - 09:11

good questions great answers

Hammy272 • 21/01/2012 - 16:17

I have to say that Icannot fault this shampoo and condtioner as I have never had so many compliments about my hair. I have highlights and these appear really vibrant just usin the repair and protect shampoo.
It really gets my vote!!!

drmqn442 • 26/01/2012 - 12:41

At last i have found a shampoo/ Conditioning I have very fine hair and have tried lots of different shampoo,s and con nothing seemed to work but the new pantene i could see and feel the difference my hair shines feels thicker so this one really get my vote.

Harlequin • 27/01/2012 - 10:19

I've used the coloured hair shampoo etc and I must say that it made my colour very dull and my hair very dry and almost brittle. Its also made my scapl very sore so I had to stop using it. I've used pantene in the past with great results but this time for me it doesn't do what it says!!

samandy19 • 15/06/2012 - 14:29

I have been working my way through many shampoo and conditioners over the past few months (since I took the plunge and started using permanent hair colour) to fiond one that i am happy enough with to purchase a second bottle. I have to wash my hair daily with or without the colour on it.
After reading all these comments, I will be going to town tomorrow to purchase some Pantene.