Fairy Platinum

Fairy Logo

What else might we use Fairy Platinum for?

Testing out Fairy Platinum with the Savvy Circle

We've all tested Fairy Platinum for the past seven weeks, and we've thought up more than a few creative uses for the tablets. Check out what everyone's been up to!

We heard whispers that one Savvy Circle member had used the tablets to clean her Jacuzzi. That got us thinking: what else might we use Fairy Platinum for besides dishwashing? So, on the half-time survey, we asked,

What other uses have you found for Fairy Platinum dishwasher tablets?

It turns out, 107 had used Fairy Platinum for something other than cleaning and degreasing our dishes and dishwashers. It was good fun reading the answers! Here are the most common ones.

Those bright pink "other uses" were pretty interesting! For example...

1. Unblocking smelly drains.

2. They remove red wine stains from material!

3. I have put my dishcloth in the dishwasher whilst doing the dishes. The cloth comes out lovely and clean and fresh for doing the "bits" that have to be hand washed.

4. Accidentally got oil on the block paving outside so I mixed a dishwasher tablet in a bucket of hot water and brushed it into the block paving...when I rinsed it away, the oil was gone.

5. Caught my brother using the dishwasher for his motorbike parts, he claims they are the best he's used as grease came off first time. Mum opened dishwasher after the parts were removed and she said how nice the new tablets made the washer smell, had to leave the room laughing.

@all - Needless to say, we're quite impressed. Have you thought of any more uses?

twixmars • 13/07/2012 - 10:36

What great ideas! I like the one about the washing machine, so whoever said that could you please tell me how you did it?

Ruby4 • 13/07/2012 - 10:44

Hi everyone!
A family friend of mine already uses fairy platinum.
She suggested I try one in a mop bucket of boiling water
To mop through my house as this is what she does.
She has tiled or wooden floors throughout and says it leaves a lovely fresh
Smell and you know it's clean!!!! Yep she was right!

Hanny1207 • 13/07/2012 - 10:57

Ive got a white belfast type sink which over the yrs had developed little scratches. These tend to trap stains and even with bleach & scrubbing (whilst my eyes are stinging from the fumes!)- it hasnt always shifted them.

Just out of curiosity the other night, I filled the sink with boiled water & dropped a fairy tablets in. In the morning when I drained the sink- even without any friciton, most of the marks had gone- a little light rub & the rest went- they had softened but were sitting on the surface.

Impressed!!

AmirahMoo • 13/07/2012 - 12:21

What fab ideas. Going to try the washing machine one, as above would love to know if you put it in the drum or draw. Thank you.

pippab80 • 13/07/2012 - 12:32

Excellent, personally have not noticed any difference over Fairy and Finish, but never thought of using them for anything else. One is going in my washing machine later to see if I can get the tomato soup stains out of my little boys school t-shirt. Will keep you posted, can't be any worse than the Vanish i tried with Ariel with Acti-lift that claims to get anything out even at 15 degrees. That FAILED with the most impressive fail ever. Will keep you posted. :)

saima123 • 13/07/2012 - 13:04

It is great for cleaning your sink and bathroom and also your bathroom tiles. It is also great to clean the floor with the mop.

teddies1 • 13/07/2012 - 14:03

I use Fairy Platinum in the washing machine for the past two washes. My son works with metal so his clothes are always greasy. The machine was clean after the wash I didn't have to wipe round as I normally do. Will use in the washing machine as well as the dishwasher.

BeeBeeBee • 13/07/2012 - 14:27

I used one to soak a filthy vase with a very narrow neck and it now shines. Brilliant

Melson • 13/07/2012 - 16:33

Great ideas all. I must say I've only tried it in the dishwasher but I like the idea about unblocking drains - I might try that one - but how did they use it?
dissolve it in hot water first? Or just put it in the sink and run the hot tap?

Ineedfree • 13/07/2012 - 17:29

I know we haven't had the weather but a Fairy Platinum tablet dissolved in hot water made short work of my BBQ grill and that really is a tough job

Krystal • 13/07/2012 - 23:41

I have been very impressed with these, have left my dishwasher much cleaner and glasses have not have the greasy streak that they sometimes get when in with the roasting dish. Have never thought to try in the Washing machine but my husband often get oil and diesel on his clothes so will be giving that a try next. Another thing to tell my friends to try.

spikes566 • 13/07/2012 - 23:50

i bought a nice cardigan which has an awful smell mom told me to return it but i love it,i thought once i wash it and rinse with detol water it will come out smelling nice when it dried it took on another smell after reading all the comments i tried socking it in water with the fairy tablet ,when it dried it smelled nice and clean.

JackieAB • 14/07/2012 - 09:33

Add to hot water in your stainless sink and leave to soak until water is cold, wipe round with cloth and empty water - sparklingly clean sink removes all discolorations.

2rabbits • 14/07/2012 - 13:27

wow! i am so impressed with all these comments and going to try a lot of these myself especially BBQ cleaning. Cant wait to get experimenting with Fairy platinum! Love it. x

jimsheila • 14/07/2012 - 14:39

What great ideas. Never thought to use tablets for anything else but am certainly going to try the others. Thanks Savvy members.

frog2802 • 14/07/2012 - 17:23

Thanks for all the ideas, will definitely try in washing machine!!

Lizzied • 14/07/2012 - 17:31

Great ideas! I`m going to try some of them and will let you know how I get on

5buttons5 • 14/07/2012 - 18:28

Never thought to use a dishwasher tablet for anything other than pots and pans etc. Will certainly be trying it in the washing machine.

Cuty • 14/07/2012 - 20:25

After an office party my dress caught red wind and sauce on the both sides of skirt. I mixed a dishwasher tablet in a sink of hot water and leave it to soak for 20 minutes, I then put the dress in the wash machine for a normal wash and all the stains were gone. Wow what can I say!
I didn’t think the red wine would come off completely. I am so impressed.

annette1454 • 15/07/2012 - 14:15

I got a tablet in a glass bowl boiled the kettle and then put the plug in the ensuite basin as has been smelling ,poured in so it will trickle through nice and slow ended up with a shiny sink and a lovely pleasant smelling plughole .

gizasmum • 15/07/2012 - 20:17

I will definitely try it with the BBQ equipment. It is a real chore an dboth me and my husband hate to do it.

Also I have psoriasis and have a patch on my back just above ,y waistline. The medication I use is a greasy gel so 9 times out of 10 my T shirts get a greasy patch on them that doesn't come out in the normal wash. I am going to try using Fairy on these stains as a prewash and see if it helps remove them.

raftery • 16/07/2012 - 07:47

love this section, will definately try some of the ideas, particulary to renew my sink as it is very discoloured, also washing machine - mite try it with my older white towels and then it will clean drum etc as well

clairecurtis • 16/07/2012 - 07:47

Wow - I never thought of using the tablets to clean the dishwasher. I will def. try.

twixmars • 16/07/2012 - 09:56

Morning All :D
I won a £10 bet on Saturday. I had invited some friends round for a bbq, the guys did the cooking, what a mess! They bet me that Fairy Platinum Tabs and my dishwasher would not get the dishes clean. Think i might spend the tenner on more Fairy Plat tabs!! :)

Melson • 16/07/2012 - 10:27

@twixmars
Good going on the bet !

Hanny1207 • 16/07/2012 - 15:41

I have a halogen over- you know one of those with a big glass bowl that goes on and off like a disco light?

Any although it's meant to self clean with a little squirt of washing up liquid and a little warm water- that's not how it really goes.
I decided to put the bowl in the dishwasher with some Fairy- amazing!
Sparkling clean and all the cooked on grease- GONE!!

tjc011822 • 16/07/2012 - 17:55

Definitely going to try out the tablets in the washing machine and on my floors. What great ideas. Also love the idea with the vase.

Melson • 17/07/2012 - 07:30

Only 3 days left. Still need to try the tablets on my plug/drain really like that idea and products to do this are quite expensive so if it works that'd be brilliant.
I can safely say I'm a fairy platinum convert. I do have a few old tablets left of another brand which would be silly to waste but I think that fairy is well worth the extra cost.
I'm hoping like with every other dishwasher tablet they often have offers on as this does make it more attractive but at the end of the day for the little extra cost I think the cleaning power and added benefits are worth it.

Bunny-bunny • 17/07/2012 - 10:26

Hi. I've just cleaned my washing machine with two tablets in the drum on its hottest wash and it's smelling lovely and fresh! Thanks for the ideas!

Ciararourky • 17/07/2012 - 10:55

i dont reccomend this to anyone but my dog wasi n the shed and oil fell off the bench just a spot of it went on her coat and i tried everything no shampoo would remove it. burst open one of the tablets rubbed into the spot and rinsed and its now gone!yeah

raftery • 17/07/2012 - 11:05

use Tab yesterday in sink (very discoloured - had tried previously with cif Stainless steel cleaner and others) with just couple inches of boiling water left it - swirled round edges every now and again - determined to leave it for few hours - seriously couldnt believe the result - I would buy the product for this job alone. Going to try other suggestions - cleaning bathroom, floors, washing machine etc

minibobble • 17/07/2012 - 12:18

It never even occured to me to use it on anything else but the dishwasher but I'm definitely going to give some of these a go. Especially the floors. I have wooden floors and with a muddy cat coming in and out all day it gets a bit grimy.

IDButters • 17/07/2012 - 12:19

I am VERY sad... I have used the last of my trial pack of Fairy - wow I have been amazed at how CLEAN and FRESH my dishwasher has been, let alone the cleaning power on my culinary efforts - burned in, crusted crockery and pans, tomatoe based sauces which would normally discolour the trays and basket...

I've loved how the collection trap has been virtually scrap free - my most hated cleaning job of all has been made just a little more pleasant!

Days before the trial began I purchased a big box of Finish tabs; which I cautiously put aside to trail the Fairy... now I don't want to go back to them... I know I must - 'waste not want not'... unless Fairy want to trade me for them.... lol

littlechrissie • 17/07/2012 - 12:19

I see someone has a brother with a similar behaviour pattern as my husband.
I came in from work greeted by the sound of the dishwasher busy whirring away .
Oh great I thought, my husband had loaded up the dishwasher ....but then I noticed that all the dirty dishes and pans were in the sink. rather puzzled I opened the dishwasher door at the end of the cycle only to find it full of motorcycle parts.
Hubby came in and was ecstatic at the results, his final comment took me aback " You should have seen how greasy and grotty they were when I put them in" ... give me strength Grrrr

Vicki0503 • 17/07/2012 - 12:23

I love the idea of using it in the washing machine. My partner is a restaurant manager and his cuffs always have stains on them, here's hoping Fairy can get them out.
Please can people share how they are using the tablets, so I know whether to soak them first or put them straight in?

smithers • 17/07/2012 - 12:34

It never crossed my mind to use them for anything but it does seem a shame not to put all that cleaning power to good use wherever we can! I will be using some of these ideas for sure.

Mummyofthree • 17/07/2012 - 12:35

I am very impressed, I always had my dishwasher on the 65 degrees wash and then sometimes items didn't come out clean & my hubby always blamed me for "over filling" it, now I still "over fill" r as I say wash a full load but now I use the Eco 50 setting and not once have I had to re wash anything using the fairy platinum tablets. Going to try a quick 35 degrees setting next and see off the results are as good

toomuchbeer • 17/07/2012 - 12:49

I am very very impressed with these tablets, and like many others have a stock pile of other tablets under the sink, I have also never thought of using them for anything else but the dishwasher may get rid of the stockpile for other uses to make room for fairy platinum stockpiles to come.

Gerriemac • 17/07/2012 - 13:10

And there I was, thinking dishwasher tablets were just for dishwashers - how narrow minded can you be!! I have discovered so many more uses for them and don't need a cupboard full of cleaning products which is another plus.

missbehavinbadly • 17/07/2012 - 15:27

I am totally inspired from all the comments left and will be trying the washing machine tip out tonight!

lindak55 • 17/07/2012 - 22:43

Will definitely try these ideas especially the washing machine one as despite the claims there are always stains that remain.

but can someone please tell me (and all the others who asked) whether you put the dishwasher tablet in as well as your normal washing powder and did it go in the drum or drawer. Also was it desolved first?

Many thanks for all the great ideas! I owuld never have thought of all of these myself as I am a 'follow the instructions' type of gal!

viola • 18/07/2012 - 08:48

@lindak55 - I know, I'm really impressed by everyone's ingenuity too! I sort of put the question in on a whim, and I'm astonished at how many answers we got.

@all - Anyone with washing-machine-cleaning-experience know how to answer lindak55's question? I'm curious as well.

Smiler73 • 18/07/2012 - 18:49

Just tried washing my floors with fairy platinum, fantastic! all the grubby marks from general life, children, animals and wet weather, all gone. now going to try it on the tiles!

canarymama • 18/07/2012 - 20:34

I used it to soak some of my kids clothes that got grease on them, worked a treat - thank you Fairy :)

Ifrabell • 19/07/2012 - 06:47

I never thought about trying Fairy Platinum on anything else but reading through this blog what a lot of great ideas, anyone thought of sending some to Westminster, might clean that lot up too?? I am certainly going to try using in the washing machine, my grandson has so many lovely T shirts with tomato sauce stains, it would be lovely if they became clean again.

dusty99 • 19/07/2012 - 16:10

I like the idea of using to clean the ceramic sink - will certainly try this one

Lilac123 • 20/07/2012 - 10:10

Really interesting how tablets have been used will defo give the washing machine a go!

lizmiss • 20/07/2012 - 11:26

I tried a tablet in my washing machine and it left it sparkling clean

pinki • 20/07/2012 - 11:56

washing machine sparkly again.......going to try the decking next!

pinki • 20/07/2012 - 11:57

ooops - sorry lindak55 - I just stuck it in the drum in a cloth....!

Beakie • 20/07/2012 - 14:52

Fantastic commenfs - and such great results

lucifee • 20/07/2012 - 16:51

I love all these great ideas, my husband is a car mechanic and his overalls get really oily/ greasy so i'm going to put one in the machine and will let you know how clean they get :)

tizours • 22/07/2012 - 06:55

Goodness, what great ideas. I'll definately try some of them.
Will also pass the ideas on to my friends and family.
Thanks to Savv Circle members !

Niccinoo • 23/07/2012 - 09:49

I can also recommend them for cleaning my horses bit & stirrup irons, shhh don't tell Mum!! :o)

PinkSister • 24/07/2012 - 10:35

Thank you. I am going to try soaking my battered le creuset pan that I burned rice in and turned black. Hoping fairy can work some magic when even cif, limescale cleaner, oven cleaner, bleach and lots of scrubbing has not helped.

Charlie_C • 24/07/2012 - 12:17

loved these tablets, and their cleaning power is excellent, but in the interests of honesty and genuine feedback, has anyone else noticed they can leave a perfumed taste in food after dishes have been washed? I'm getting this, especially with plastic bowls and implements. I love that my dishes and machine are sparkling, but don't really want my meals to be fairy flavoured!

supershopper- • 25/07/2012 - 21:38

Charlie_C I have noticed some other tablets leaving perfumed taste, but not these ones. Did you get lemon fairy platinum? I got original (silver packet) and have not had a problem with them. I agree cleaning power is excellent, really pleased with them!

biribiri • 26/07/2012 - 21:13

thanks for all the above tips. I would not have thought to use the Fairy tablets other than in the dishwasher.

R3b3cca82 • 30/07/2012 - 19:32

I clean the teapot with them at work... We don't clean it often enough, once per school term, its metal and gets all brown stains that gets built up. Dishwasher tablets bring it up like new.

maggieanne • 01/08/2012 - 19:22

I have found these comments fascinating, who knew that there were so many ways to use dishwasher tablets, I must try some of these ideas. I have noticed over the last few weeks how much shinier my drinking glasses are, they are so much brighter than before, thank you